Welcome to the Barthel Index - English Program
This program has been specifically designed and developed for the educational benefit of the healthcare provider, the clinical research rater and principal investigator site personnel. Physicians, nurses and first responders may benefit from the training component of this program in order to be familiar with the Barthel Index. Additional certification also provides sponsors with documentation of competency for all related clinical trials.
The on demand training component of the program is FREE and can be accessed as soon as you create your own personal account. It can be used by any healthcare provider in order to sharpen your skills on the use of the Barthel Index.
Certification and Re-Certification programs.
You may purchase the certification by going into the 'Product Catalog' at any time. You will be able to access the certification component immediately after purchasing the program. Programs may also be subsidized by sponsors when used for clinical trials purposes. See 'Subsidized Barthel Index Programs' information from the right hand menu.
Clinical Trials - Global Standardization Methodology
Investigators required to certify in use of the Barthel Index often participate in several trials, running across institutions and countries. These trials may each have a different sponsor. It is important that the arrangements for certification remain consistent between trials and among investigators within trials. Investigators who hold a certificate from a source other than this site cannot recertify here or transfer their certificate to a new trial without undertaking full training and certification de novo. This ensures that certificates in existence were based a common, validated approach. The training and certification material on this site is monitored and updated as necessary to ensure maintain validity.
Sponsors and institutions may use this program to document rater competency and reliability.
A consistent approach to scoring patient recovery is essential for healthcare and research purposes and is desirable for routine clinical application. This training program was prepared by Dr Terence J Quinn and Professor Kennedy R Lees in association with colleagues in University of Glasgow and the stroke units of Glasgow Royal Infirmary and Western Infirmary.
. Unauthorized copying, sale or distribution of the material is prohibited.
At the completion of this program participants will be able to:
• Understand differences and conflicts between functional grades awarded to patients
• Understand and apply the concept of “activities of daily living” to clinical trial patients. observed interviews of patients representing a range of functional outcomes
• Understand strengths and limitations of the Barthel Index as a clinical trial outcome.
• Appreciate the “standard” Barthel Index recommended for clinical trial use (10 items, score 0-100.)
• Have demonstrated competence under controlled circumstances in applying a score to patients, which is consistent with the scoring algorithm and peer opinion
• Be able to use the scale to score functional recovery of patients
Print certificate of completion good for up to 2 years
• Be able to document and provide proof of competency to sponsors and regulatory entities within the clinical research setting.
Look under “Product Catalog” for your program of choice!